View Single Post
Old September 30th, 2022, 04:05 AM   #9
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Sounds like you are replacing my petcock issues with fuel pump issues. The fuel sender is built into the fuel pump on fuel injected bikes, which have no petcock. I had to deal with this in another vehicle recently and lost over 12 gallons of fuel as a result (completely full 25 gallon tank came back half full). That was June/July.

I told the service guys that the fuel pump was fine and I didn’t care about the fuel sender but they insisted on replacing it, claiming it could be causing other electrical issues. I bet one of them got 12.5 gallons of free fuel. I filled up so that I could put a sticky note on the dash telling them “Tank is full; ignore gauge,” since they acted like it was empty and refused to do the test drive the previous time (it was full then too and had a can of fuel in the back). I didn’t expect to be replacing the fuel pump or else I would’ve come in nearly empty with a fuel can.

Wait a second… I just recalled that I had the same fuel can in the back of the van and they told me they put that in the tank “for safety reasons” because the van supposedly “smelled like fuel.” I believe it was my 6 gallon can, meaning I only had 6.5 gallons left in my 25 gallon tank after they drained it! I know it’s difficult to replace the fuel pump when you have to drop a full tank but that was not what it was there for and it certainly doesn’t entitle them to 18.5 gallons of free fuel.

Sorry. This realization has left me very annoyed and I had to vent somewhere!
Thanks for the information! Wasn't aware that the fuel sender was part of the fuel pump on FI models. Seems like the parts are shown here https://partsrepublik.com/de/moto/ka...2011/fuel-pump .
If the sensor can't be fixed or acquired as a separate part, I guess I would
need the entire fuel pump if this should be repaired.

I understand your frustration when thinking back on your experiences, so I have no problems with any venting. Just refreshing. ;-)
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.