View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2014, 04:17 AM   #107
Ginganinja
pregens for the win!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250, 07 yamaha r6

Ok big update with pictures for everyone tonight!!!!

So last week i got alot of my project finished. and then finished it up tonight. i was worried about getting the clutch basket off so i could take the case apart and swap out the cam chain. That was unnecessary. I managed to take the case apart while working around the clutch basket.

I needed to get that chain replaced

but the clutch basket was blocking this piece(lever-comp change shaft) that kept the case from splitting

so with some finesse.... i was able to get the case apart.

bottom of the case

and to that pesky chain!!!

that's my problem right there!!

So i replaced the chain and put the case back together. next was a new gasket and the pistons in the cylinders......thanks for the help

After some great advice, i was able to get the pistons in the cylinders in under five minutes and set for TDC for cylinder 2, heres a before and after of the piston top.

Next I used a straight edge and feeler gauge to measure the head for warpage, didn't get a picture of actually measuring because i couldn't hold the camera, the straight edge, and the feeler gauge all at the same time. but it was within the service limit

Next.... putting the cylinder head back on!!!!

I tied a string to the chain to hold it up out of the bottom of the chain well

I installed the rocker arms and cams and then lubed them up with this, cuz its always better with lube, the camshaft cap bolts still needed tightening. I had to look up the torque and sequence

Next, double checking the timing, with my straws for TDC.....

Lastly, the valve adjustment, and torquing all the locknuts to 12ft-lbs and making sure no dog ears snapped off in the process. I didn't take any pictures of this, but here's one all buttoned up and ready to go back in the bike....

Unfortunately, my camera died and i was unable to take any more pictures, but i did get the engine in and all put back together, i actually started it tonight and took it for a couple easy laps through the neighborhood. i didn't put the fairings back on yet, but she sounds better than ever!!! i'll charge the camera and snap some finished product pictures of her all wiped down and back together!!!

It feels so good to get her back together Thanks so much to everyone who participated and helped me in this rebuild, I am very grateful for your help, contributions, and generosity. @n4mwd, @Motofool, @Racer x, You guys really do make this one of the best motorcycle forums i've ever been on. And Special shout out to @EMSRacer07, you're a great guy and I really appreciate you going out of your way to accommodate me with such a great engine head for a hell of a deal, just for the sake of being able to see me get back out there and ride.

Overall, this has been one of the best learning experiences i have embarked on, with quite a bit of help and participation i was able to build vastly on my limited foundation of knowledge about engines, and specifically my bike! i can't stress how much i appreciate it guys!
Ginganinja is offline   Reply With Quote