View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #111
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginganinja View Post
lol just my luck with the chain guard. I actually found the piece of it that snapped off, not sure how exactly it happened, but it definitely happened when i had it apart. i saw that that was all it was and figured i'd put it back together anyways. rather than buy a whole nother case half for that one piece.

as for the harmonic balancer, i didn't move the crank more than a few milimeters, just enough to slip the chain out from under the gear, so hopefully not? how would i go about checking to make sure its not misaligned.

i already rode the bike for about a mile and a half through my neighborhood, so would the damage already be done if it is misaligned?

As for the oil passages, i blew them all out with compressed air, and they were all clear. nothing came out of any of them.
You can't buy a case half because they are a matched set, but the whole thing is about $30 on ebay if you go that route. Personally, if mine was like that, I would be thinking in terms of some sort of home made bolt on bracket.

The harmonic balancer keeps the crank from self destructing at high RPMs. If you are certain there is no chance that it skipped a tooth while you were working on it, then there shouldn't be a problem. The only way I know to verify it is to pull the flywheel and see if the dots on the gears line up. I honestly don't know if just one tooth off would be that big of a problem. But nevertheless, if you ever have to pull the flywheel again, you should check it.

The failure mode of a harmonic balancer is the crankshaft snaps in two after running for a while. Based on what you have said, I don't think you will have a problem with it because it sounds like you were careful not to let the gears un-mesh.