View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2018, 06:47 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasedLissik View Post
Hello everybody, I purchased a 2007 Ninja over the summer of 2017, I added a small mod that was quite easy which was going with the euro look for the rear lights. The bike ran pretty good for the most part, the problems that I have had with it was that the idle wasn’t great all the time but it was more towards start ups; and before the engine went caput the battery died after I wouldn’t ride for a week. So my main reason for the post really is because I want to rebuild the motor, and I don’t plan on going cheap.
The reason I have the motor went bad is that I am getting a pinging/knocking noise from the right side of the motor, I took it to a shop and they said it was coming from the timing chain and they said it would be not worth working on it,$$$. So that led me to suspect the rocker arms but when the valve cover was off I inspected the rockers and the chain and didn’t see anything. Only sign of wear was when I drained the oil so I can pull the motor, and that’s when I saw the copper and aluminum flakes. Yes I like to rev high and go a bit fast, so that’s Off the chest which left me to suspect that it could be a bearing failure in the lower-end.
Motor is out of the bike, and I want to tear it down and rebuild it but I can’t find where to buy bearing, any clues, buying old stuff is my last resort and I did read on a thread that some one suggested a big bore kit but that was 3-4yeArs ago. And I have links to some site of were I was going to get my stuff but I can post it upon request.
Pictures of the bike??
Yes - that would suggest toasted bearings, most likely the big-end rod bearings - which would mean the crank journals are most likely damaged as well.

That's where it gets expensive, and that's why most of the time it's a much more cost-effective route to pick-up a different engine. I sold one last summer with low miles (no carbs) for $250. You can't get very far with $250 when it comes to major rebuilds.

These bikes can be a dime-a-dozen, so you need to be careful how much you put into them if you don't want to lose a bunch of money when you sell it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.