View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #69
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextbesthing View Post
Good fixes for coolant leaks?? The outside hardline that goes from my radiator to the water pump is leaking where it connects to the pump. I replaced that o-ring with a non oem one with the same fit. I put some regular non hardening gasket maker on after that failed me in a fairly significant bead behind the o-ring, worked until the engine got hot and then didnt. Next someone at work suggested "blue monster" not it's real name but allegedly "if that doesn't work, you're effed." Another non hardening gasket compound, with the same result. I'm tired of draining my cooling system if anyone has a better suggestion. Might try and find a thicker smaller diameter o-ring that will fit more snugly also might try a double o-ring, one in the groove and a bit wider one after the groove. All input welcome, especially why I shouldn't do that, because it seems wrong.
Dump the "O" ring altogether. Go to your auto parts store and buy some Fel Pro gasket material. I think Autozone might have some. While you're there pick-up a small can of Permatex High Tack gasket sealer. Make you own gasket, apply the High Tack to both mating surfaces and both sides of the home made gasket. Done deal. I did this in several places on my 82' Honda FT500 Ascot. Works well.

Cheers,

Bill