Old August 7th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #10
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Another note on moisture in the tank -

You can also get moisture in your fuel without heavy rain. If the fuel level is low, and you get a fair amount of temperature swings, you can get condensation to form in the tank.

Best way to prevent it is to keep the tank pretty full and use Ethanol-free gas if possible.

If you think you have water in the tank, I would completely drain all of the fuel. Remove the tank and dump it into a clean pan so you can look for moisture and rust. Dry the tank completely before refilling with 87 octane (again- no Ethanol if possible). If you don't remove and completely drain and dry the tank there will be areas where the water will sit that you can't get out by just running the fuel out on reserve.

Draining the float bowls into a clean container can also tell you what the inside of the bowls might look like.
hmmm well i haven't been working (just got a job though) so i've been broke and the tank hasn't seen more than half full for a little while now.

I got gas last night before my ride home. I suppose it's possible a drop or 2 of water got in the tank when i opened the cap (the bike was soaked from the rain)

Is it obvious to spot water in gas? even a little amount? The only thing i noticed when i just drained the carbs was a very small amount of dark sediment from both carbs. When i drained the left side bowl...it did look a little cloudy. Does that mean water?

Also, the fact that it seems to be running right now is that any indication that my tank has or doesn't have water? I've never had this problem before and it literally started half a block away from my house last night after a 16 mile ride (thank goodness) On a side note, that reminds me of the time I rode home from work months ago, and as i pulled into my garage my throttle cable snapped. I hope my luck continues...
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote