View Single Post
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Here's how we roll in Georgia when we arent riding motorcycles...

We've been creating these massive slip n slides for 4 years now. On average every summer over 200 of our friends and family come and ride.

The slide is constructed of vinyl RV roofing material, and is over 300ft long and 25ft wide. Water is circulated with a 13hp pumping station (used by fire departments) running on gasoline. It pumps around 350 gallons per minute down the slide via two firehoses and a custom built PVC nozzle system. It requires no soap or lubrication...just water. At the bottom is a 40ft x 40ft 4ft deep pool.
Each year it gets bigger...we started with 60ft and moved up to this. It usually takes about 3 weeks with a bobcat to get it all set up and graded.
Under the vinyl slide is carpet to provide a soft underlayer.

We've clocked people at over 30mph going down, and its not uncommon for racers to go airborne at the end.
interesting...My brother and I have been dreaming of doing this at our Lake house, which sits on the side of a ridge. Problems:

We don't want to tear up the yard. As a result of that decision, we would need some bumpers of some sort that could resist a 200lb person running into them.

There are 2 possible paths.
-path 1 could go off a 1 foot ledge into 1 1/2 foot shallow water. A ramp at the end of this could launch people out a few more feet where it is deeper.

-path 2 could go down an unused boat launch which is about 12 feet wide. This is the optimal path since it could theoretically be 150 feet long with a bit steeper incline than the shown in the video.

I think materials are the major problem. What is the black stuff you are using for support and walkways? is it under the vinyl?
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote