View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Helimot H-20 Leather Riding Gloves ~ Review

I don’t have a lot of money, but I’ve spent the better part of 15 years finding the absolute finest in safety gear that money can buy. My reasoning is since you cannot buy a new limb, I figure that it’s best to prevent the injury in the first place.

After trying and examining the top brand designs, it leaves me feeling a bit confused. Most of the gloves are barely fit for mowing the lawn, much less protecting the hand from a crash. This statement may seem extreme, but go out to your local motorcycle gear shop and check for your self (note: pictures in catalogs, however attractive, simply cannot reveal the true quality of a glove).

After reading about the Helimot H20 glove on the Internet, I decided to do a bit of research. Here are the highlights on what I found:

The kangaroo-leather (stronger, thinner and more dexterous than cowhide) fingers contain no external seams, so it resists splitting open on impact. The H20 uses a proprietary dense foam (soft) armor that reduces impact forces to the hand (hard armor like carbon fiber knuckles will transmit energy forces to the hand). The dense foam is incorporated throughout the glove and in thicknesses that dissipate impact forces and help prevent broken bones. The engineered construction, fit and finish are a reflection of its German roots.

After buying two sets of these gloves and wearing them for about half a year, here are my observations:
The H20 glove is simply a design that makes sense. If you put on a pair of these gloves and punch the 90-degree edge of a concrete wall, you’ll feel nothing. If you put on a pair of standard or even so-called “high end” motorcycle gloves, instinctively you won’t even try this test. Why? Because you’ll know…it’s gonna to hurt!

So, the question I ask myself is this: if a pair of motorcycle safety gloves cannot protect the hand for a modest punch to a wall, how will they protect me in the event of a real motorcycle crash?

The H20 glove seems so logical you would think that companies would settle on this elemental design, add their own colors and twists and set up production. Sadly, this is not the case. It’s like a pair of Frey-Daytona Security boots, a beautifully simple design that incorporates unique safety system of a hard-shell inner boot and soft, elegant outer boot. Why companies don’t follow suit is beyond me. But, I suppose it may have something to do with the idea that just because a product appears simple and intuitive, doesn’t mean it is.

Think Apple iPhone.

Back to the H20’s, the reality is that if Helimot devoted its modest resources to marketing, then I do not believe that the product would be as such. Marketing costs a lot of money and time. What you have is a product that is well respected and used by some of the biggest names in motorcycle racing. And its popularity is probably due to the most powerful form of advertising: word of mouth from owners who know what good gear is.

If you are interested in proper safety gear that will truly protect your hands, incorporate comfort and quality, know this: The Helimot H20 motorcycle gloves is the world’s top designed, best executed motorcycle glove on the market.

http://shop.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=64

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote