View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2016, 06:07 PM   #1
jnr1114
ninjette.org member

Name: Josiah

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

09' Ninja 250 Running On One Cylinder

Hello there!
So I was recently went riding after the bike has been sitting all winter. I started every couple of weeks and rode it too keep things flowing.

I encountered a problem several miles from my house. The bike had a sudden loss of power. I managed to get the bike home not being able to succeed 50mph and very VERY slow acceleration.
I got home and started diagnosing the bike. First thing I did was let it cool off and test if both cylinders were working by touching both header pipes as it warmed up. Well, to my surprise, only one header got hot while the other was dead cold after 5 minutes of running. So obviously the first thing I checked was spark. I have a beautiful blue spark from the dead side of the engine.

I'm thinking it could be a clog in the carburetor from sitting all winter. The bike has 15,000 miles on it. (bought it at 12,000 last summer) So I don't know if it had any valve adjustments or carburetor tuning. Had a nasty crash last summer (breaking some bones) and had to replace the rear wheel and several other parts. Bike ran 2,000 miles after the crash so I doubt it had anything to do with that.

Just asking for tips on what it might be. Something that commonly goes out on the bikes? It is my first bike and first time ever working on one. I just removed the carburetor and it looks beautiful. Haven't took it apart yet.
jnr1114 is offline   Reply With Quote