View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #186
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Just an update, with the new hardware and software from Ecotrons, I've got my kit running extremely well. I still don't have the O2 sensors installed just to clarify, so I'm running off of the "rich" setting all the time and still creating maps for the "desired lambda" table.

Idle: The idle on the kit with my current calibrations is good, it oscillates a little while in the mid to late warm up phase, but after that the idle is strong and steady. From 3,000 rpm down it drops a little slow, but that's nothing to worry about. The torque even at idle is enough to easily propel me up the driveway at a respectable slope with all my gear on weighing in at approximately 250 pounds. This was a significant change when compared to the carburetors.

Start up: Starting up is very easy, normally the engine will fire on the first turn over. I've had some recent issues with the ignition not working while in first gear but I'm sure that's a loose wire somewhere probably on my fault during assembly/disassembly.

Warm up: During the early warm up phase (first minute or two of riding) the throttle isn't quite as responsive as when fully warmed up, but predictability is mostly the key during this time as you don't want to be rocketing off at 13k rpm on a cold engine anyway. Mid warm up (3-5 minutes) the throttle becomes more responsive, blipping becomes easier and the slight idle drops decrease. During the later portions of the warm up (from 5 minutes up to normal running temperature) the idle may oscillate a little bit until full temperature is achieved, throttle response and predictability are both excellent.

Mid Ride: Zero issues, amazing kit. The smoothness of the power curve on that kind of level was really unexpected. Smooth roll-ons and roll-offs allow you to see that there are absolutely no dips or spikes in the power curve, it's all smooth as silk. On top of that, a little extra power may have been gained through the kit (not sure if it's from changing settings or what, but there definitely was a stronger acceleration pull compared to the older hardware and software).

Overall impression: The improvements to the kit are spectacular, ease of installation and the more professional appearance (less hosing, fitting boots etc) definitely add to the kit's success. The performance gains when compared to carburetors are quite immense. One very satisfied customer, especially with the support from Matt at Ecotrons for the time and effort put in through a multitude of emails to get this kit to it's maximum potential. Those willing to take the time to get a basic understanding of the kit and programming will only get that much more satisfaction out of the product knowing that they essentially can control quite literally everything about the engine. Spark advance, air-to-fuel mapping, and volumetric efficiency just to name a few.