View Single Post
Old May 8th, 2023, 06:24 AM   #86
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

the next day I went out to the shop and started the bike.... let it warm up for probably 2~3 minutes.... giving it gas every once in a while while it warmed up and took off the choke....
once I could feel the heat start coming off the cylinders with my hand I revved it up and
it got to 6k RPM and stumbled like it dropped a cylinder or something I gave it more throttle and it pushed through it.... let it idle again and then gave it throttle and again at 5~6K RPM it struggled, ran poorly and kept running like that at that RPM
increasing the throttle some raised the RPM enough to where it cleared out and ran good. ....
so it is not right yet..... at 5~6,000 RPM there is a flat spot still.... by 7,000RPM your out of it and it runs great.... and above 4,000RPM it starts running funny.... it feels like it is lean.... there is no smoke so I don't think it is too much fuel, so I am thinking it is lean in that area....
that so happens to be the area where the throttle valve cut away, and the jet needle
both come into effect on the fuel mixture...
I had Gordon install 2 shims under each needle ( after much discussion with him) which is probably why it runs as good as it does....but it is not correct YET...
.... my question is has anyone ever put in 3 shims on the ninja 250 before... as that is what I am thinking I need to do.....
Bob........