View Single Post
Old May 16th, 2023, 12:39 AM   #94
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL My Dad grew up building Hot Rods and it was like there wasn't a part that you could add to an engine back then in the 1950's that didn't help develop more HP... and as the technology developed so did the hop up parts... I remember seeing a Chrome flat
head V-8 with 8 vertical velocity stacks sticking straight up and it idled like a angry tiger.
they would go through a set of rear tires in a week with that coup especially if Mom was driving.... she had no restraint ! Dad said just touch the throttle and the rear tires would bark ! although that was about the time I was born, my sister grew up in that car....but now days modifying a car for more power is Not so straight forward ...You really have to know your parts ....and what they will do !
and it's the same with Bikes ! although I think the bikes lead the way to higher performance for cars... and cars lagged behind for decades but the bikes got scary fast!
it seemed like over night they went from 70hp to 235hp and to me that was like 235hp!
you can't possibly use that much hp on a bike ! I was working in a motorcycle shop in the Dalles Oregon, and I tuned my first H2 Kawasaki Trippel 750cc.... I spent most of the day getting that baby perfect... took it out for a test run and I could not believe how strong that thing was..... that was the only time I rode a bike that pulled so hard it was opening up my grip on the handle bars...and I had a very strong grip !
I wanted one of those every sense that day just for Kicks ! LOL....and that was just 72hp !.... and then the crotch rockets appeared.... and 120hp was pirty much standard
for a few years..... but I never got into them as I didn't like the riding position.
Anyway..... I went out and fired up the Ninja today as it has warmed up and she started on the first revolution.... and purred like a kitten even while cold....
I am getting a small lean spot in mid range when it is cold... as I get a backfire everyonce in a while on deceleration.... other than that she is running really good
and it's ran like that for at least 3 times now....
I am uncertain how to richen up the 4~5k area of the RPM range so I think I will just leave it that way..... and just put it back together enough for a test ride to see if that area is enough to hamper the riding.... when it's warm that area seems to go away.
so I am thinking it just might be good enough.
Bob.....