View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2023, 09:53 PM   #101
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

And I think you are right..... darn it ! because I just ordered larger pilot jets....
I think stock pilot is a #38 so I went to #40's I should probably by #35's as well
No smoke at all Danno.... like it was running rich.... it feels lean !
but putting 2 shims in there probably made it too rich I'll do a plug color check and see what that says.... I think I will go and order 2 more pilot jets just to have them on hand
so I don't have to wait for them .
there is also the aspect of as the air expands when it warms up there is more volume
which makes it leaner.... which is why I think it's lean (giving a fixed volume of gas)
which pushes it beyond the point of ignition (past 14:1 FAR) we know already that they try real hard to hit the 14:1 sweet-spot for fuel economy.... I would like 12:1
but that is really hard to guess in.
I gott'a think on this..... it is possible it is too rich.... but my gut instinct tells me it is lean, not rich.
removing 1 shim may make the bike run perfect.... without changing the pilot jets
so I think I will do that.... and see what I get in response. although I do love the way it runs on top end right now, that monster really screams good.... but I want it to work through the entire RPM band....

Bob......