View Single Post
Old June 9th, 2023, 01:28 PM   #107
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok do you want a laugh ?
I go out there to try and adjust the air screws properly..... however my screwdriver tip is going way up in there.... obviously you can't see up in there, you can't barely touch it yet alone turn a screwdriver on it too... but I decided to take the pilot air screw out completely I get down there on my hands and knees and am looking trying to see getting the 90 degree screw driver into the hole..... and I see something brass colored laying there in a crack.... my focus changes onto it and it's the idle air screw ! well no wonder it is running so poorly !!!! your not supposed to be laying there your supposed to be in the carberator !....
so I get my long needle nose plyers and carefully grab the idle air screw and lay it on the floor.... and I start looking for the rest of the parts.... then I see the spring ! I think Oh man am I lucky !..... I fish it out and then start pulling out the few leaves that are in that well under the starter.... and I see that tiny washer TOO !!!!!
...so I clean them up and put the right side air screw in from the left side because you can't fit your hand under the right side ...now I get it up there and it is staying as I tried to turn it a bit with my finger tips.... then I get the 90 degree screwdriver and screw it in till it has a bit of resistance... I then back it off 3 turns exactly and stop.....
I hit the starter and it fired right up.... sounds like it's trying to run on both cylinders now ! it definately is grabbing RPM alot better than it was now.... but it is hesitant on the bottom end.... it seems the more I ran it the better it ran ...NOW....
while I had the screw OUT I made darn good and sure the screwdriver fit the screw and I DID have to trim it down a hair on the grinder ....
My fancy dancy 90 degree screwdriver has click indents in it and it makes feeling the screw near impossable however I think I will definately set the left cylinder to 3 turns out as well.... just to make sure both are set the same ( I know one of them is supposed to be 1/4 turn in from the other but I can't remember which one.....) I was hoping to adjust it to best RPM with a screwdriver that fit it ! ....
so screw-ups aside I found something wrong...so that is a good thing !
I think what happened is I backed the screw out so far the spring no longer held it in place...so it just vibrated out setting there.... if it vibrated out on the road I probably would have lost it completely.... so it must have fell out in the shop at idle.
how can you screw up a simple air screw adjustment ? just ask me I can tell you ! LOL
Bob......