View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2023, 11:26 AM   #113
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

ok well I took a break and then went back out there and hooked up the choke and throttle and gas line and fired it up....
it started ok about what you'ed expect from empty carb bowls.
I tried my best to adjust the air screws.... turned them in till the RPM slowed down then back out till it sped up a bit.... did that on both sides...
gave it throttle and it did not want to go above 6,000 RPM and is obviously running like crap. I played a bit more with the air screws and left them a bit on the rich side
that helped alot but it sounds like it's missing or something.... hard to tell with the air box still off/disconnected. the flat spot is alot worse now sense I removed one shim
with both shims in there is was pirty much gone but not quite those shims are so extreamily thin that it's hard to imagon that they actually do anything.... like a few thousandths !
I think what I will do now is pull off the carbs again. replace the shims I took out and see if I can find another shim like those and put it in there.
I think the pilot jets are about right now because I could actually hear the change in RPM as I turned the screws , the problem is there is no peak to the idle screws like there should be...... so I can't tell where the right spot is any idle screw will lower the RPM if you screw it in far enough...... getting it to peak tells you that you past the correct mixture..... this thing doesn't peak and then drop back down in RPM so it really is a guess as to if it's right..... I put both of them at the highest RPM and left them at that.....
.... Knowing what I know about this finiky beast I think I will put the air box back on
and try it again and see if that makes any difference.
seeing that flat spot come back in force tells me that the shims are definitely needed
( at least with the 95 main-jets in it)
when it is running in the flat spot it fluctuates alot missing or something of the like
if I let up off the throttle some times it will pick it up and rev past it .... it's like I am flooding it.... if I ease the throttle up through the flatspot some times it will climb through it , and other times it won't.... at last check it was idling great albeit very low
like 500~600 RPM but I figured it was still half way cold.
Bob........