View Single Post
Old March 10th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #1
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

HALP!! Loading bike into the back of a budget truck

I'm renting a 24 foot truck from Budget to move down to SoCal in a few weeks and the only way I can take all my vehicles and the bike is if I put the bike in the back of the truck with all of our stuff. The truck itself is more than big enough for all of our stuff including the bike but I'm just worried about how to tie it down safely.

That's what the inside of the truck should look like and it will have those slats of wood along the sides to tie things down. I was planning on putting all of our stuff in first, with the heaviest/largest things up front and then the bike at the very back. I bought 3 pairs of cambuckle tie downs and 1 pair of ratchet tie downs to try and over do it. I was told the best way is to put tension to the front and floor but by having the bike towards the back of the truck I can't put any tension on it to the front, only to the sides as low as the slats are, which isn't all the way to the floor.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm doing this right or not. I know it's not ideal, but considering my circumstances I think it's the best method. I want to put 4 straps on each side so that if one or two lose tension the other ones can keep the bike up. I feel like it'll be secure from the side to side wiggles, but it's the forward and bike that I'm worried about. I'm also worried about the stuff sliding too far back and hitting it but I think that's better than having the stuff behind the bike and then slamming into it if I have to stop quickly. I'm only going to drive the truck full from my place to the weigh scale which is a few blocks away and then going straight on the freeway after that. What should I worry about? Should I stop every 50 miles and check on the straps? Am I going to be okay with how I'm planning on doing it or should I rearrange everything inside like a big Tetris game so the bike is surrounded by all our stuff?

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote