Old March 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #33
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
Again, I really appreciate all the help and tips... that's why I'm stuck here trying to figure it out. I know I'm most likely really over thinking this.......
You are welcome.

Yes, you are thinking about the thing too much, Jorge.

Nothing like loading the bike into the truck and see in-site what works and what not.

Your friend has some experience, then, there is nothing to worry about.

Believe me, there will not be a lot of forces trying to rip your bike away from the truck.
The worst forces are the small and repetitive ones, EDIT: which can grind one surface against another or can fatigue weak parts under cycling bending, all due to the natural oscillations and vibrations of a long trip.
Be attentive of all contact points and place some sort of cushion between the surfaces.
Also avoid contact points on thin shells or slender parts that could break due to fatigue (see next link).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_(material)

Since you have high points of anchorage on the walls of the box, consider that hanging (with ropes, straps or belts) is self-stabilizing EDIT: (and less obstructing of floor storage area / See link below), while struts and columns are not (In other words: semi-hanging the bike requires less material than supporting it from the wall and floor).

http://ofb.net/~sethml/motorcycle/vs...g-wide-big.jpg

Worse scenario, you can put the thing on its side over some soft surface, since she will be dry.

Last futzed with by Motofool; March 12th, 2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Add new ideas to fifth paragraph
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote