Old June 14th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #69
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
That is great!

Now we know that the only bad part is the relay.
Sorry that I did mislead you to the left handler switch, the fact of one bulb only turning on confused me.
The diodes are good.

I am not sure if something bad will happen by starting the engine and turning the lights on at once.
The purpose of the system is to feed the starter motor only with the battery, and turn the lights on only after the starter is off and the alternator is feeding the lights and anything else.

I would give it a try and see if no fuse is blown.
There is a plastic clip for jumping cables that should be available at autoparts and which schematic I have attached.
Whatever method of by-passing the relay you choose, try a firm connection and check that it is not too hot after some minutes of having the lights on.

Since we know that the relay is bad, there is an additional test to do and it is checking the voltage of the yellow-red wire while the engine is working.
I know that you tested before (test #6 above), but I am not sure if you measured with the engine working or just the key switch in the on position.
It should be zero or very small.
That ensures that the coil of the relay is good and that the starter motor is not draining the battery after the engine is running.
Had to give my pops back his multimeter last night, but will grab it again tonight so I can do this.

I want to say when I was doing testing I was always doing it with the engine running and with just the key on and engine not running. Also I want to say I got 1/ .1 or 2/ .2 on the yellow / red wire. Will confirm tonight.

to confirm the relay is part number

27002:
RELAY-ASSY

or is it

27002A:
RELAY-ASSY

or neither?

anyways thanks again for all the help! Once I get everything together and running for sure once I get the parts I will make a right up of everything i've done! Thanks a lot everyone! I learned a lot about the bikes electrical system
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote