View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
jus4fun
ninjette.org member

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): BMW F800ST Honda Rebel CMX250

I didn't crash, but my wife did...

Thought I'd get that out of the way. I've been crash free since I started in 2007 (knock on wood), but have had several close calls. My wife on the other hand has been down 4 times, all of them very slow and her injuries range from none to some rash, leaving some scars. She still loves riding though. I got to hand it to her. She is pretty tough.

And short, 5', taller with her boots on.

And that brings us to why I am posting this.

My son, now 18 and in college wanted a motorcycle, so now we have three.
My BMW F800ST, wifes' Honda Rebel CMX250 and sons' Ninja 250. I rode the bike after getting it from the dealership (bought through ebay) and brought it the 50 miles to our house. Then my wife rode it. Son is at school and can't ride it during the week, too cold recently anyway.

Her mishap was in the parking lot. Less than walking speed if you can believe it. She misjudged distance to the bars and didn't have firm control. The bike started tipping and it became too much for her and just went down.

Now we are in the process of repairing the damage.

Main left fairing pushed the turnsignal through and a few other cracks of 3"-5" and a small piece missing. Gorilla glue is amazing stuff. Bought it to fix the fairing and so far it seems like it will work.

This bike had been down before. So we had to really clean the fairing, remove the old glue, via dremel/sand paper and decided to re-do the whole fairing where imperfections etc. were. So, a lot of sanding.

Once the glue dried, more sanding.

The tail fairing had some damage on both sides, so i removed it.

The mirror, bar end and clutch end were scratched, so more sanding.

The bike had been repainted (poorly) not a good match either.

Now I'm debating to pull the fender and the front cowling=LOTS MORE WORK but won't she be purdy?!

Since I am on a tight budget, I really can't afford Color Rite or PPG paints/primers/clear coat, although I may have to bite the bullet. Are there any other more affordable options?

Do I have to use a primer?
I am not against it, just need to know if it is necessary.

How many coats of paint are recommended?

Lightly sand between coats needed?

Clear coat recommended?
How many coats?
Sand between coats with #150 Fine OK?

Flat black for the mirror, turnsignal and clutch lever OK?
Primer needed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
jus4fun is offline   Reply With Quote