View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Diagnostics on motorcycles

well, I have started to get the nessarry cables and stuff for reading the ECU
on my RX4.... sense it is fuel injected and has ABS and all that stuff I thought I'd begin the learning proccess of how to do that !
... I think I used a OBD reader once in my life and got the error codes for a F.I. VW station wagon that my mom had... it gave me a number and I looked it up and I went and bought the part it said was bad... installed it and the car was happy again..... that is my FULL experience doing diagnostic repair on anything with a computer in it.... but that was decades ago and things have changed a great deal sense then.
My goal is to be able to modify the ECU to allow me to choose how rich or lean the bike runs and not be stuck to the manufacturers standards that are too lean in my view just to pass EPA stuff....
so I have been learning ...slowly, more and more about what is going on in this stuff.... the RX4 uses a DELFI MT05 ECU if I read that correctly
and I have seen several videos on You tube about How to do that stuff
... but 90% of those videos assume you know what their talking about and that makes it really hard to understand it.
so far I've Downloaded the Hard to find HUD ECU HACKER program
and got it installed here on this machine.... but that doesn't do me much good as it is a big desktop machine.... I'll snag my Kid's Lap top and commandeer it for actual work on the bike I think.
the next major problem is the cable to attach to the ECU on the bike
I got one that should work on the way and another one from it to a USB cable to go to the computer... it should arrive first.
I also got a WIFI OBD2 unit that should allow me to connect wireless to the laptop and if that fails I can fall back to the USB cable and still be good to go
I've been exploring the HUD ECU HACKER program a bit and found it is very robust indeed it should allow me to change anything I want in there ...
but therein lies the problem if you mess up just one setting it can and will stop the bike from working completely ! it's not something you "Play" with
and there are probably 100 settings to choose from
in short you better know what your doing before you change anything !
there is a way to save a backup file of the ECU and obviously I should do that before I do anything else.... 2 or 3 times ! LOL
but then we start to get into the settings and what they do
Luckily the Maker of HUD ECU HACKER has included some files of his bike that you can run and see how it is supposed to look this is very handy
and gives you a better understanding of what is going on inside the ECU
on a Youtube video I saw a guy flash his bike with new settings all went well for him and it did what he wanted (he had a backup just in case) but it was a bit cryptic and short but I think i can sort it out...
it's all very technical and very Cryptic but there is a data sheet telling you what those 3 letter words represent in the ECU Hacker program so that is great !

Right now I am Just exploring this new found world and I know many bikes sold today are F.I. Bikes so people will need to know how to do this stuff soon
if not already.... but there is not very much information on it or how to do that..... so that is why this thread...
Please feel free to add to this as I need all the help I can get ! LOL
Bob....