View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2022, 01:09 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zpatton View Post
Oh great. That’s not what I want to hear. Is there a special trick to or it something? Any videos out there?
I barely had any tools and no mechanical experience when I managed to get mine out many years ago. Since you’ve already got a replacement and you’re working on the bottom of the triple clamp you shouldn’t need to worry about chewing it to bits with a drill when you slip. Just worry about yourself: gloves and glasses!

If I were concerned with the ignition lock cylinder I’m removing and I had to do it again I’d get a metal sleeve or spacer that fits the recess around the bolt head and use the largest drill bit that fits through to start. Once there is a divot in the break-away bolt’s head, go freehand with the largest drill bit you can fit. This should leave behind threaded bolt studs that you can remove with locking pliers. If there is red thread locker you could add some heat from a butane lighter or micro torch.

You can see I did OK on the ignition lock cylinder but terrible on the part I was salvaging to transfer over:

Now I don’t have to worry about hiding it under the triple clamp since I have a whole new lock set anyway.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote