View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Not another break-in/engine oil thread!

I've been looking into a bunch of the forums for a while now to try to get at least some consensus about this issue of when to put synthetic oil on my new Ninja.

Here's what I've concluded (for myself) about this issue and a few others:

Due to a lack of clear, reliable, scientific, referenced, data on certain issues, from what I can find anyway, a flood of noise fills its place. One person, who I'm sure means well, puts up what looks to be a well thought out website which promises to give the end-all answer to a question and bring clarity to an issue. Many people praise it and when a new forum member inevitably asks the same question, someone quickly links to said webpage. Thus reinforcing the information.

For me this is extremely dangerous. Because there is no first hand information which is reinforcing the statements. There is a very high risk of mythology taking over.

Okay, so if you've read this far, I would like to ask one question. Please only answer this question if you had a new bike and have done your first oil change early on (50 to 300 miles say) with synthetic oil (like Rotella T for example).

I can't imagine that I will be the first person in this forum to ever do this. But if it is the case, then I'll be sure to report to the forum members how it goes for my engine. All I'm asking for of course is anecdotal evidence which doesn't prove anything, but I still think it will be a start!

Thanks!
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote