View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2020, 12:09 PM   #13
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchman View Post
Never taught about the 120 rubber. But yeah, makes sense. I was thinking about softer front-end and wider rubber. The thing you suggested last year. BTW: how is the front-end behaving under heavy braking?

About your AFM races... are they running stock front tire?
Several years ago, AFM changed rules to allow slicks in production/stock classes. So no more compromises with DOT treaded tyres needed. Fastest 250 guys are using Moto3 slicks (lighter weight and more grip than stock):
https://motorcycleracetires.com/moto...p-moto3-tires/
Or V02 https://www.bridgestone.com/products.../detail/pr150/

These are extremely responsive; just think about turning and it's already leaned over! I just couldn't justify buying tyres every other weekend, so I stuck with what MotoAM JR-cup is using; Alpha 13-SP and Q3+ that I could get for $100/set. These are only sec or 2 off from race-slicks, but lasts an entire season! I'm still many seconds off those JR-cup guys, so I doubt tyres are holding me back.

I gotta get more practice and training in. Particularly learning feel of tyres sliding, which is much, much easier to pick up with non-racing tyres, because they let go much, much more progressively. A lot of people make mistake of moving up to racing-slicks too soon before they learn how to manage slides. Racing-tyres have much more sharp-transition between grip to no-grip and you don't get much signal; they stick one moment, and then next, you're on ground!

BTW - I was only thinking stickier front-tyre to make up for using 150 rear (Dunlop monopoly refused to sell me Alpha 13-SP in 130mm size, even though it's made). Now that more track tyres are available in 140, I'm going to use that instead.

Front-end works fine under braking. Biggest issue I’m working on is calming down back tyre chatter when it starts lifting. I guess I’ll have to squeeze clutch as well when braking.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; February 27th, 2020 at 09:44 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote