View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2019, 03:25 PM   #7
dodgerdad
ninjette.org guru

Name: Hector

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SibSerge View Post
That's not old for a battery. the cluster might also be sensitive to fluctuations of the system voltage. Try measuring the voltage when you load is all connected but switch your voltmeter into AC mode. Check how big those fluctuations are. If you have an access to an oscilloscope it's even better. The higher the current draw the higher the fluctuations are. The alternator can keep up with the draw , the rectifier can but the filter might be small for this load.
If you see bulbs flickering then it's an indication the voltage fluctuates. The bulbs in general do not care , you just see it as a flicker, with higher RPMs and thus the frequency of the flicker your eye will not even register it. But if the cluster contains electronics it could be a big deal.
This can be addressed by adding a polarity sensitive capacitor in proximity to the cluster. It will be able to maintain the voltage level needed for the cluster unit.
I have the battery at full charge and installed an voltage capacitor/filter and it seems to have cleared up the problem (with no headlights connected). I cycled it on and off many times and no failure. Voltage going to cluster is at 13.13v.

Thanks for your input!