Thread: Lessons Learned
View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2019, 01:12 PM   #1
BlueNinjaF18
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Lessons Learned

I'm sure that when I first signed on here last year many of you got a good laugh, or even rolled your eyes at the noob. Maybe you thought that I was destined to end up on the asphalt as a decoration for a second time. If so, you're absolutely correct. I did, and with it, I sold my bike for dirt cheap, and walked away in tears.

Looking back, I had everything and everyone against me. Every lesson that I learned came with a cost, and I am a better person for it. I want to share what I learned, and what's next for me as a rider:

First, I wasn't prepared in the least. I learned that all machines are not equal, and mistakes can cost you everything. I should have done my homework before I bought the bike. I needed training, and I rushed the process.

My second mistake was in accepting bad advice. Many had no idea what they were talking about, and with zero support from my family, they just wanted the bike gone. I listened to all the wrong people, trying to do the right thing.

My last mistake was selling the bike. I had been taken advantage of from day one by the seller, and it needed some work, but covering it and allowing it to sit in my driveway would have been the best thing to do. I sold it on an impulse, because I was hurt. I am passionate about riding, and I just caved in to all the pressure.

Moving forward, I realize that I learned to ride the wrong way. As an Autistic person, I tend to take everything personally, and often find it difficult to succeed because I have failed at things so many times in my life. With riding, I found something that I could focus on, and invest in, and be proud of.

I plan to buy another bike this summer, and it will be another 250. I want exactly what I had, and this time, all the failures and injuries won't be for nothing. Thanks to those of you here on this site who reached out and tried to help me. We may never meet in person, but I'm grateful to you just the same.

Mike Smith
BlueNinjaF18 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.