View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2014, 05:55 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
The big three magazines are Sport Rider, Cycle World and Motorcyclist. Sport Rider is, of course, sport bike oriented. In my view, the other two are pretty much the same as one another.

As with most glossy pubs, there's a lot of fluff... pages devoted to new gear that you already know about, devoid of any real information, etc. But the writing can be very good. People like Kieth Code and Nick Ienatsch write columns for these magazines.

Motorcycle Consumer News (not to be confused with the british MCN) is a small publication supported entirely through subscriptions. It can be very informative and has lots of material on riding technique, health and fitness, etc. Ken Condon writes their technique column. Jay, you know who this guy is... he's the number-two at Tony's Track Days, the thin guy with gray curly hair and glasses who stood next to Tony during the briefing. He's also the author of Riding in the Zone. This magazine is not written for those with the attention span of a gnat.

If you follow racing at all, Roadracing World is great. They also have useful tech info in addition to race coverage and do a special issue every year devoted entirely to track days. Right now they're doing a series on turning a street bike into a race bike... they're up to part 7, I think.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote