View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2022, 09:47 AM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Along those lines, skip gel and go straight to lithium-iron battery! Make sure you get one with over-discharge and over-charge protection. Battery Tender line of batteries are darn good!

Don't need to keep on tender if you ride once a year. Be sure to get "dumb" charger, those "rescue" and de-sulphate cycles with high-voltage and AC will harm lithium battery. Heck just touch up charge with auto-charger every once in while, they can take charge-rates 10x higher than lead-acid batteries!
Interesting. For the 400, they recommend the BTL09A150CW as the standard option (BTL12A270CW as an upgrade). It's only 2.5Ah vs. 8Ah on the standard YTX9-BS, but it's 150CCA instead of 135CCA. It's also 1.76lb instead of 6.6lb (the BTL14A300CW for the 500 is <3lb vs. >10lb). My biggest concern is actually all the smarts they put into it - more stuff to go wrong with it. They do have a 3-year, 100%/50%/35% warranty too.

I don't need a new battery, but now I want one of those... Anyone wanna buy a used stock 400 battery cheap?

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote