View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Ouch man. Sorry to hear. At least it seems like the damage is limited to cosmetic and hopefully after a once over, it will remain that way.

Just keep practicing. I had a similar experience riding a new road last year, but I was lucky in having an out: I was coming out of a right-hander into a left hand corkscrew and there was plenty of warning. I know I'm going too fast, so I start to slow down. Unfortunately not quick enough. I know I will have to lean like hell, and I already had no faith in the IRC's, so I see there is a grassy shoulder, I keep the bike straight, and I stop just in time.

I learned two things that day:

1) Take it easy the first few times on a new road and give yourself more room for error than normal.

2) I needed to use three fingers to get any real braking power out of my 250 for my weight, and not two as I had been up to that point. If I had three fingers on the brake that day, I believe I would have been able to slow enough for the corner.

Live and learn and be safe. Again, glad to hear you are OK.