View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM   #8
95PGTTech
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

This is going to come across as harsh, but if you are not willing to wear full gear even for a short ride because you'll get too hot SELL THE MOTORCYCLE. If not getting sick is higher on your priority list than putting something between your very delicate body and the very hard road, you are not mature enough to ride, period. You are the lowest man on the totem pole out on the road - only bicycles and pedestrians are less protected than you are.

I am an ER nurse at a level 1 trauma center. There is not a week that goes by without multiple crotchrocket no-or-too-little equipment accidents. The story, on the few times the patient can actually talk, always start with I was just running around the corner for milk/bread/errand. Forget the pictures of accidents, you should smell a patient that has slid 100+ feet on asphalt - forget your heat issue, that smell of friction-burnt flesh will make even a seasoned nurse ralph. The next couple hours of IV push dilaudid and morphine drip while I pick pieces of the road out one by one are as nasty for me as they are the patient - I've been told by many that they just wish they were dead as they scream uncontrollably - no joke, when I go in to do that I bring earplugs. When I'm finally done, we portable xray them to check and make sure we got everything - often it takes multiple rounds pieces are buried so far. We send you home after a day of observation and you get to enjoy the next six to eight weeks while your skin heals and no painkiller on earth can take the edge off, have fun. Then there is the embarrassment and damage to your bike that you have to deal with - this is all predicated upon you being lucky enough to live with only skin injuries - more often than not, motorcycle accidents arrive DOA and the ER doc will pronounce them at the door as soon as the bus gets there so we don't waste time and resources.

But please, by all means continue being a squid. Job security for me.
95PGTTech is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.