View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:51 AM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernam View Post
I agree with what you are saying. What I meant was if you've decided you're going to stop, braking and downshifting at the same time is best because after you've come to a complete stop or a near stop you may be in the middle of an intersection where you're still not safe. This will not lock up your rear tire and you will be in the right gear to get going again. This was taught to me by the instructors when I took the safety riding course. This skill is not hard to learn as many others have said so you might as well learn it.
That's just good riding technique. Being in the right gear for your speed so you can accelerate if needed is a good idea.

But we are talking about efficient emergency stopping, and downshifting (you said to "stomp down on the shifter" all the way to 1st gear while braking hard) isn't part of that. Emergency braking assumes there is no other option than stopping short of an obstacle. Once you fully commit to making a complete stop as your only option, you need to do it in the most efficient way possible - and that doesn't include downshifting.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote