View Single Post
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #23
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I've realised I worded my poll badly so it's not going to give me the info I wanted (not that it matters that much, as I'm not competing... just curious).

I wasn't trying to find out if people could pull the clutch all the way in, brake and down-shift. That's easy - even for a first-day on two wheels nooblet. I was trying to find out if people could properly down-shift (blipping, rev-matching and clutch pretty much constantly engaged) while braking.

As a side note: I think @jkv45 is right on the mark with his recommendation about shifting while emergency braking. If I decide I need to stop very fast to avoid hitting something very hard, then I do not give two flying f***s about shifting. The fact I am emergency braking means I have already failed the more important task of pre-emptively avoiding a potential incident and right now I'm seconds away from hitting something fast and hard (which probably means serious injury or death). If I get into that kind of situation (has happened), every ounce of my being is devoted to my decision to stop as quickly as possible, shaving as much speed off as possible and all the while keeping tyre side down.

I think if you've got enough time and attention left that you can brake and down shift, then it's not an emergency it's just a manoeuvre.

Also: love your comment about not calling it "panic braking" @jkv45. So true. Form follows thought. You think "panic brake" you panic. You think "emergency brake", you treat it like an emergency (something that requires your full attention).

The stuff I'm talking about in this thread (as @csmith12 has just pointed out) doesn't have much to do with emergency situations and is arguably actually not even that relevant to street riding. I already ride much faster than pretty much every vehicle I encounter on the road. I just recently recognised that my lack of ability to brake while down-shifting (clutch engaged) is slowing me down... which on the street shouldn't be that much concern! (but it's fun going fast) (safely!!).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.