Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
...... So I can comfortably completely close the throttle while applying the front brake. What I cannot do (at this moment) is blip the throttle open as a shift while braking.
I see.
It may be related to the size of your hand and forearm.
I have big hands and long arms and find it very easy to do.

Consider that properly blipping to match rpm's does not take a lot of angular rotation of the handle.

This may be a temporary palliative:
If the throttle is kept partially open while applying brake, the engine is then under load because it is fighting the decreasing speed of the bike and as soon as you apply the clutch, the engine rpm's increase and less wrist movement is needed.

Quote:
Thanks! I'll give that a read.
You are welcome

Carefully study the timing and hand movements shown in the video of that thread.

Quote:
........ I just recently recognised that my lack of ability to brake while down-shifting (clutch engaged) is slowing me down... which on the street shouldn't be that much concern! (but it's fun going fast) (safely!!).
Your difficulty is not a terrible one for street riding, but, IMHO, it may become a mental barrier rather than a physical one.
Doing it simultaneously and automatically is safer and, again, a good skill that all proficient rider should try to master.

I believe it is safer because all sequence of control that becomes precise, smooth and automatic liberates your attention to be focused on the real danger: traffic.

This remarkable quote from our mutual friend is a good summary of the reasons that should push us to tireless improve in order to achieve graceful riding.

"To me... It's a state of mind before you even get on the bike. A reminder to NOT rush anything, ride beyond my comfort, to relax and flow. ie.. to ride "Gracefully". And fyi... not rushing doesn't mean you can't perform the action quickly.

To think of it in a different way... You can only ride as fast as your mind can process what is going on and be able to pre-emptively know for 99% sure what the outcome will be. Once a rider has ran out of that ability to know, they are riding fast to be riding fast vs. riding slow to go fast." - csmith12

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.