Old December 6th, 2015, 06:13 PM   #16
Supernam
ninjette.org member

Name: Nam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?

Re when you roll on the throttle... from the TOTW2 book (and it's also quoted in the video):

Remember the "traction pie" or "traction budget" idea. Your tires have only so much traction, which is distributed between acceleration, braking and cornering. If you're at max lean, most or all of your available traction is being used to corner. That means if you whack the throttle on at that moment, you will exceed traction limits and the tire will give up.

The sooner you can reduce those cornering forces, the sooner you can get on the throttle because you'll free up some of your traction budget that you can then use for acceleration.

When you quick flick, you're at max lean for less time. Therefore you can get on the throttle sooner and get a better drive out of the corner. Absolutely applicable to track riding.

Seriously... just buy the book and the video. Read/watch repeatedly. It won't sink in the first time, or even the first five times.
You are absolutely right and explained it a little better than when I read that thread. It makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
It most certainly DOES apply to track riding. Fun Facts! The TOTW2 book, in chapter 17, it labels steering as "the key to speed." Also, if you were to take a California Superbike School course, the Quick Turn will be your 3rd on track drill of the day.

In fact, if you google up some CSS reviews of the level 1 course. You will find that it very much mirrors the same tips I gave you, however.... they present it much better than I did.

Here are the lvl 1 drills, in the order they give them;
(steering drill in paddock)
1. throttle control
2. turn points
3. quick turn
4. relax
5. 2 step turning (vision drill)
Thanks I will try that.
Supernam is offline   Reply With Quote