View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2016, 05:09 AM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That's just plain common sense. Why does asking you to carry emergency contacts scare you? I made a card with all my emergency info in it, even my blood type. It's in my jacket.

The perception of risk and the actual risk rarely line up. She's giving an emotional response that is likely based not on fact, but on her fear that her daughter might get hurt or killed. Which, you must admit, is a perfectly valid concern.

Her reaction is also likely based on a mental image of irresponsible motorcycle riders. Remember the incident in NYC a couple of years ago with a mob of motorcyclists getting into an altercation with a family in an SUV? That's the image people have of us, whether we're responsible riders or not. You don't remember the person on a Ninja 250 riding calmly along. You remember the squid who just dive-bombed you at 100 mph, swerving within two feet of your front fender.

Often, those who don't want to let you ride are more concerned about others hitting you than they are about you losing control. But life is full of such hazards that can injure or kill you. Get hit by a bus crossing the street and you don't have the benefit of a helmet, right?

Look at it this way: Does she let you ride a bicycle? I assume she insists you wear a helmet. Does she have a cow if you don't? If a car slams into you on a bicycle (even if you are wearing a helmet), you're likely to get hurt worse than if you go down on your bike wearing full gear. What in her view makes a motorcycle different?

You're an adult. It's your right to do as you please. But you should respect your elders and have an intelligent, reasoned conversation about the issue.

Knowledge goes a long way towards overcoming fear. How about asking her to follow you on the way to work one day, so she can actually see what it's like?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.