Thread: fear of riding?
View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Yeah, I think most has been touched on but I'll bundle it all up for you.

1. Sounds like you are a biker, it is in your blood, your soul runs on two wheels, cages lean the wrong way when you corner. That is near on impossible to change. It's like willing your hair to be blond when you are a brunette. You can dye it, you can bleach it, but what keeps coming out of your head is brunette. Mom needs to understand that nagging and threatening won't change what you are. She sees only the danger, not how two wheels gives your soul wings.

2. Gear up, get the good stuff, get the stuff that fits your properly, and ATGATT. I want you to feel naked if you don't have your boots, gloves, helmet, CT Jacket, lumbar protection, etc on. Yes it's hot, yes it's some what constrictive... Yes you look wicked awesome wearing it.

3. MSF, learn the right way, from the right people, right from the start, and then practice. My dad said, " Practice make Permanent, not necessarily perfect." If you practice things perfectly over and over, then and only then, does practice make perfect. He said if you do something wrong, it takes 10 times doing it right to remove the "wrong" from your muscles and mind.

4. ride, just ride... there is no substitute for just putting miles under you. Unless you are doing something very wrong, learning how to shift with out even thinking, braking and down shifting, judging approach and corner entry speeds visually, lean angles, aggressive braking, head checks, signal use... all come with repetition. The more you do them, the more comfortable and able you will become.

so, take a hard look in the mirror, is your motorcycle part of your Internal Locus of Identity? When you see you, is it on two or 4 wheels? I ride a motorcycle, i'm forced to drive a car when it's raining, or snowing, or I have to carry more then my back pack will hold... but I ride a bike. Once that question is answered, convincing mom, over coming fear, spending the time to become competent/advanced/expert/elite is going to be time well spent in your mind. Oh and don't let the "girl" thing throw you, or anyone else for that matter. Mom sees "biker chick"... you young lady are a "scooter hottie"

ask me now I know all this... this is my daughter, and we have had this very same conversation.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.