Old May 22nd, 2017, 09:15 AM   #27
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Constantly being overtaken is dangerous.

In this area there are tons of cyclists on the backroads. Many times there is no shoulder and plenty of hills. I had to slow from 45 to about 5 the other day to wait for a cyclist crest the hill before I could pass. 5 seconds before a car had come the other direction. There's just not room for 2 cars and a bicycle. Someone will lose.

Many cyclists in this area are also arrogant and feel they have "equal rights" to the road. They have rights, but they pick and choose. Sometimes they will stop at stop signs, sometimes they won't. They will ride on a busy 4 lane street (35 mph limit) with no shoulder or bike lane (there are lots of roads here with dedicated bike lanes) and expect cars to either wait for them or go around. That causes a dangerous traffic situation.

They want the rights of a motor vehicle and a pedestrian at the same time - which can put themselves and others at risk.

Hopefully Nicky will recover from this. It hasn't sounded too good so far, but he's tough.

I see this perspective a lot. It's an easy perspective to have when you haven't had the pleasure of being forced to get somewhere by bicycle. Not everywhere has a dedicated bike path to it. You might be on a trail for miles, and out of nowhere, because of some stupid sewage construction project that isn't listed anywhere, the construction guys decide to divert the bike lane onto a busy 4 lane 35mph no shoulder street. where the **** did the trail go? is it coming back? did they even plan the detour correctly? or are they just sending me off into some bullshit diversion and i'm going to get lost trying to make my way back to the path i was on?. I don't want to be on this stupid street. I want to be back on the dedicated bike path I was on. but assholes keep parking in it. and people keep destroying it digging up sewers. and people just sorta stand in it for no reason thinking its a side walk. do you know how mad pedestrians get when you invade "their space"? when you pass them "unreasonably" by only slowing down to 10mph while they are on the bike path. it's easier to use the shoulder in those cases. at least the cars wont try to block you intentionally usually. they just try to open the door into you. it's not that cyclists feel like they have the right to cause traffic. it's that they want to ****ing cycle somewhere, but all you ****ing assholes are making it really ****ing hard to do that. especially voting against funding for cycle paths because you don't cycle. you can't vote against that **** and then complain that they're in your way on the road. ****ing a.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.