Thread: Hissing sound
View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:31 AM   #1
bitshift
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ilya

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250 FI

Hissing sound

So 3 weeks ago I bought a 2011 fuel injected Ninja 250.
2 weeks later, last Sunday, I went on a little ride with 14 other bikers. As we were riding home I messed up a turn, and ended up riding up a kerb at probably around 20km/h. Didn't drop the bike, just rode up and stopped on the little island.
I get my **** together and start riding home, and notice a hissing sound coming from the bike. I stop to check if perhaps I popped a tyre, but that wasn't the case.
I thought I might have got a vacuum leak, maybe popped a tube off when I hit the kerb, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the noise is coming from somewhere around the crank case where the oil fill hole is. Here is a video I took to try demonstrate the sound. I apologize for the poor quality, my main phone died the same day after the ride (not the best day of my life).
I'm not sure if the sound was always there but I never noticed it, since you can barely hear it with the helmet on, or if the "impact" may have caused it. Or perhaps going 50km on the motorway may have caused it?
I haven't noticed any weird things or drop in power. I've seen other videos of Ninja 250 engine sounds and noticed they all have a bit of a hiss, I'm just not sure if it's the same hiss or a different one.
Should I bring the bike to a mechanic and see what they think, or is this just a normal Ninja 250 sounds that I've never noticed?
bitshift is offline   Reply With Quote