Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
"necessary"

Do you have different types of motorcycle? eg a long distance machine, a fast machine, a track machine, a dirt machine etc etc. Or do your bikes overlap with each other so you could technically do without 1 or more of them.
Let's see...

1972 Kawasaki H2: My first motorcycle, bought in 1978. I'm attached to it enough that I'll never sell it. I've made numerous mods, including major engine improvements, so it's pretty fast, even by today's standards, and handles quite well.

1978 Yamaha DT100: Given to me as a non-running junker a few years ago, engine and transmission rebuilt and chassis set up (greatly modified) for things like the Dragon and supermoto tracks. Hugely fun, top speed currently around 65-70.

1986 Honda XR250R: Dirt bike that was given to me non-running and needs some work, but it seems to be all minor stuff like rear shock, kick stand bracket, and a new seat, so I should have a dirt bike sometime soon.

1989 Moto Guzzi Mille GT: Bought a few years ago just so I could try something different from the H2. Not particularly fast, but fast enough. I've enjoyed longer trips on it, mainly because it gets over 50 mpg (US) and has a 6 gallon tank. It's fun because no one knows what it is, even when they read the name on the tank. Shaft drive is nice.

2005 Ninja 250: Bought so my daughter would have something to ride when she got her motorcycle endorsement. I discovered that it's very fun, and enjoy riding it at least as much as she does. It is a blast on the Dragon

So not much overlap at all. I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha FZ-07, and depending on things, it's possible it might replace the Guzzi for more power, less weight, and more fun in the twisties. I really don't want more motorcycles in the garage at this point.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; November 7th, 2017 at 08:29 PM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.