View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2020, 08:58 AM   #8
Jamieb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jamie

Motorcycle(s): EX250 J

To do list / why do some people pile money into exhaust..

Well after a few days ownership I'm now a lot more familiar with my new back (be it 11 years old). The bike needs nothing to be rideable but has many niggles to make it a nicer ride.
From what I see the previous owner got it serviced regularly but a pretty poor service, nothing more than oil, plugs and filters. No lube to things such as lever and pedal pivots, clutch cable stretched to the limit etc.
I don't understand why someone would bother fitting an aftermarket exhaust but not bother replacing sloppy gear shifter & bolt - things like that would sharpen the ride up much better for less expense. I'd also put money on it that valve clearances haven't been done. I'm happy to gamble and plan that in over winter, plenty of spare engines on ebay for not bad money if the bike decides not to wait that long.

My upcoming little jobs list will be:
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
New shift pedal and bolt (mine has as much side to side movement as up and down)
New front brake and clutch levers plus pivot bolts (also wobbly in all axis)

Jobs for winter:
Valve clearances, engine is sweet but I like peice of mind
Replace for seals (slight misting on left)
Fluids, filters & plugs.
Replace outer sleeving on the loom, a few of the exposed sections have become brittle and started to break off.

One I'm undecided on:
Convert to standard bars instead of clip ons. My hands don't feel right on this but I might come round to it after more riding.

Its all work I'd expect to do on any bike I buy. Im not one for performance mods - much prefer spending my time putting the 'newness' back into bikes. Might see if anyone will swap me a stock can for the Scorpion slip-on currently fitted too.

I make a living in predictive maintenance and condition monitoring, it rubs off on my bikes so I'll make this one perfect and run it forever.
Jamieb is offline   Reply With Quote