View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #30
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Bullpuckey. Adding the Snell cert would allow them to charge more for the same helmet.

But it's OK for you to share your ill-informed views that every helmet is exactly as good as any other?
I expect more from you Alex. When did I say that every helmet is exactly as good as any other? Never did. I said that just because it is not Snell certified does not mean that it would not meet Snell standards. Similarly, having a motorcycle license does not make you a safer rider than someone who doesn't have a license. Examples like this exist all over.

Not taking the test does not = inability to pass the test.

While adding a Snell cert may allow them to charge more, that may not fit their target market. Charging more does not equal more profit. If that were the way business worked, every car would come with navigation, auto assist parking, heated cup holders, etc. Businesses forgo inclusions that would improve their product in order to keep costs down all day. And as you can see from this discussion, there are plenty of buyers who appreciate it, whether or not you or anyone else agree with their logic.

Personally, I filtered all my helmet searches for Snell certification because I did not have the time to personally research enough. I let the Snell cert speak for it's safety. But that does not definitively mean that my helmet is more safe than a DOT only helmet. Had that DOT helmet failed the Snell test, then yes it would be.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote