View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #32
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Fair enough, but that's a different take on things that Snell-rated helmets are likely just as safe as DOT-rated helmets, as the DOT helmet probably would have passed other tests if they went through the trouble. It relies on some very thin assumptions that don't hold up very well in aggregate, though perhaps there are some exceptions along the way. (Helmets that pursue ECE instead, for example).

You immediately went to the ever-present Nazi slam at anyone in this thread who was warning against going cheap on the most important piece of safety gear we wear. Then discounting the value of testing that is explicitly defined to judge the effectiveness of that safety, made it that much more grating.
I'll give you that, poor choice of words using the Nazi slam. I'm not discrediting the value of safety certifications, I'm pointing out that certification testing is not all-inclusive. Therefore you can make the argument that all Snell helmets meet the testing standards, but you cannot make the argument that all non-snell helmets do not meet the standards. I'm just trying to speak objectively.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote