View Single Post
Old November 23rd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #1
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Arrow Questions about quick flick for fast cornering

I need the help of the experienced members who race or are simply fast in a track bike.

As many may know, rather than a racer or a persistent track-day rider, I am an old street motorcyclist with the priority of safety and survival.
The quick flick technique is one that I use and practice in order to have a better survival chance in traffic situations.
It has saved me more than once.

Just like hanging off, this is a riding technique described in "ATOTW2".
Nevertheless, it seems that only Keith Code, his school couches and our @Misti insist upon its importance for riding well.

Copied from
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=109

"Can you steer your bike as quickly as you can a car? What does quick turning your bike have to do with your safety? How quick can it be done? Where can you practice it?

Let's take up question number one first. Can you steer your bike as fast as your car? If your answer is "no", my next questions are: What business do you have riding in traffic with cars that can out-maneuver you?, and, Ain't that dangerous? The answers, not pleasant ones to swallow, are: none and yes. You lose.
Take a moment to evaluate how quickly you are willing to turn your bike. If there were a scale from 1 to 10, where would you be. After twenty years of intense observation, I place the average motorcycle rider at around 4 on that scale. Is fear of falling a reason? Yes. Not practiced at the art of quick turns? Yes. Very few ever take the time to hone their skill up to the standard of effectiveness needed for the street." - Keith Code

If this is such a good technique for fast cornering, why is seldom discussed in forums or shown in videos?

One can find hundreds of opinions, advise and videos about body position and knee dragging but hardly a handful about straighten and speeding a turn by using this technique.

Even videos posted by fast riders show slow and/or premature flicking on dry pavement, ....... leave alone attempting it in rainy conditions.
I would love to hear from the fast track riders and racers about this phenomenon.

Is this because the technique is simply not understood/appreciated/used among fast riders?

May it be that turning flicking-in close to the outside curb would open the inside of the turns for other racers to pass?

As many attend track days to become safer street riders, is this technique taught and practiced by Novice and Intermediate groups in track-days and schools other than California Superbike School?

Does any Ninjette member use it?
How proficient are you?

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.