View Single Post
Old September 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Rant: Low-Mileage Bikes

So I go into my local jap bike dealer in to scout out potential upgrade bikes for next season yesterday evening. As I'm in the parking lot, I see new bikes inside and used bikes outside. Not really looking for anything in particular, and just wanting to get a feel, I start checking out the used bikes.

I saw an r6, gsxr600, another ninja250, concours, vstrom, zx6 and many others. They were all made no later than 08 and were in great condition. But as I'm going through all of them I start to notice they all have low miles. Reaaallly low relative to their year.

For example, the r6 was an 07 with 2100mi, the 05 250ninja with 2300mi, the 07 zx6 with 1800, and even the 06 concours with 4000 and a goldwing with 5000ish. I understand if a 250 has low miles: the owner upgrades or its so cheap to keep around no reason to get rid of it. But F*S, I have 11k on my ninja, 2k put on in the past month alone when I got it, but these bikes were hardly ridden. Think about it: a three year old bike with 2100 miles= 700 miles a year. I know thats an r6, and its not usually ridden for long distance, but really, two hardcore touring bikes with under 5k miles? Whats up with that? And its not like the dealer only took low mileage bikes--my bike was welcomed as a trade in for a KLR.

Maybe I ride too much. Maybe I expect too much of people. But it's crazy to think of spending $10k+ (with insurance) on a great bike only to ride it that little.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote