View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
17 will not fit. 16 might fit with some grinding. 15 will definitely fit, and is easy to find. But if you are trying to gear shorter, why are you increasing the front sprocket at all? Just leave it at 14 teeth and put a 46 or 47 tooth on the rear, and you have the ratio you're looking for.

That said, I'm not convinced that gearing this particular bike to almost top out in 6th on the longest straight will lead to the best lap times. Gearing for the particular corners or other areas of the track might be more beneficial. One of the very active track riders runs 15/41 or 15/42 on their trackbike, if I remember correctly (@csmith12). Before ordering anything, I'd talk to a few 250 / 300 owners who race at your local track, and find out what was worked for them.
You sure a 17 will not fit? Bear in mind I'm not talking about a 17 for a 520 chain, this is a 17 for a 415 chain.

I definitely get your point about gearing for particular corners rather than just trying to optimize top speed. I'll have to chat with some of the other 300 owners and see what they are doing.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote