View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1
Luvninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Gabriela

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

As ninjette users requested. Info on ninja mod (picture heavy)

I found enough time to write up some info about my modded pregen ninja 250. First a little background story

Why did I change the look you ask, Well once upton a day I thought I'd take a small trip following some "scenic roads" sign in my town. I basically just followed the signs for about 100 miles or so until I got lost and tried to come back home. Once I knew where I was I decided to make a quick stop by a bridge I had seen earlier so I could snap some pics... Bad idea, I parked on a small incline and when I came back to get on, the bike tipped over, RIGHT INTO A POLE! Scratched tank and dented it. All that was affected was the tank and I ended up changing the WHOLE bike

BEFORE PICS

DENT THAT STARTED IT ALL

Winter came around and I had my chance to do to my bike what I always wanted, make it my own, unique. All the fairings were in great shape so I purchased a whole set of fairings and tank for close to nothing. I took the dented tank to a shop and had them fix it. Meanwhile I stripped my bike down and started sanding down the fairings.

There are no pictures of the process of the modded front fairing. But I think everyone can get the idea with the following pictures. This was done with fiber glass and some Bondo to smooth things out. To put the new headlight in there obviously needed to be things cut and added.

Now the next big thing was that the headlights are too wide to fit between the current mounts for the stock headlight. So they needed to go, I ordered another headlight bracket and swapped them (I like having the extra, non modded, original pieces). I cut the mounts and also had to cut the mounts for the mirrors (red).

Now you are probably wondering how I mounted the headlight onto the bike. Well I didn't and haven't. With the mounts on the bracket cut, it left a nice smooth surface for the back of the headlight to rest on (green) and it doesn't fall trough the bottom because it sits ontop of the mounts where the fairing attaches to the bracket (White). The fairing fits pretty snug on the headlight also, so it keeps it from moving at all. I plan on fixing up something where it actually bolts onto the bracket.

Next I changed up the turn signals. I decided I wanted something different. So I smoothed out where the stock signals go and cut out the shape for the ZX14 turn signals that I ordered from Ebay. I had to fill in some cracks with fiberglass and it was a pain in the ass, especially when I realized that the back of the turn signals were so f*cking big that it interfered with the forks, when I turned it would hit pretty bad. So I took the lights apart and just used the cover of the headlight, bulb assembly and wires and crafted my own back and mounts for it.

CZroe asked
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I plan to mount them along the front edge where they always go on OEM bikes (probably DOT requirement; can more easily be seen from side + front). Any reason why you chose to mount there instead? Will I have issues mounting where I want?
I don't have a good reason of where I mounted them other than I didn't want to try to even that whole part out and then cut out another spot. I was lazy basically Which in the end, was more work. I think how you want it to be will be better because the backing of the signals won't hit anything. You might actually get to use the whole thing you paid for, cause I didn't ! HAHA

So then I painted everything.

Then put everything back on my poor naked bike, that by this time was naked for 2 months.

Put some tinted brake and turn signal covers

And where did I get the windscreen? Same one, except it's under the fairing but had to be cut shorter to fit. Also the "dash" had to be shaved a bit, so the windscreen could fit.

After that ALL DONE!

P.S I have no clue how the headlight is wired, I had a professional deal with that.

During this whole time I had no clue what I was doing... Never painted a vehicle before (unless you count a scooter @ age 12 with spray paint... started chipping within a week). Never really worked with fiberglass, I basically got lucky. It's not perfect but I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Next project... make it better. Aside from all the original fairings I have another set which I plan to mod a tiny bit differently

Oh yea, I'm a girl BTW. I keep getting refered to as a HE on here

Last futzed with by Luvninja; June 19th, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Luvninja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.