View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's not that i am hitting a bump that i haven't seen that could be avoided by a line change. it's that i'm trying to get over a bump that i cannot avoid and know is there in the quickest/most controlled manner possible. hitting the bump causes the front suspension to be upset first, which i think is why i find myself on the gas trying to lighten the front. then as the front's coming back down, the rear hits. if i'm on the gas, i'll wheelie it ever slightly, but keep the back down and it feels stable as the front comes back smoothely. if i keep the gas steady, the front comes down alot quicker, but the rear feels like its losing traction and wants to slide out... i'd be scared to back off the throttle for fear of losing my front end's traction and lowsiding when hitting the bump...
its the same effect (but more sudden) as going over the crest of a hill mid-turn. you're leaned over, but all the sudden the road drops out from under your front tire.
i think the reason it may feel better putting my weight on the outside is simply because its more "on top" of the bike and its a better angle to use my legs as suspension... still seems like this must be wrong though.

where do you guys put your weight if you feel like your rear is losing too much traction from a sudden drop? or do you not move your weight at all and keep it about 70/30 on the inside even if its starting to push?