View Single Post
Old December 18th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #21
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
No worry at all, Bill. It's just that in 50 years or so of experience with many engines of many types, I've never had a type-of-oil related problem or failure. Having the right amount of good, clean oil of the correct viscosity in an engine is a zillion times more important than what kind it is. And I've miked many crankshaft journals, measured and plotted cam lobes, inspected bores and piston surfaces, etc..

There are guys who research and buy the absolute best oil they can find, and there are others who use decent, ordinary dino oil, and there's no reason to try to convince someone of the other group he's wrong, or try to convince newcomers that they're foolish to buy anything but synthetic oil.

Since I've been around the Internet boards, I've read of engine failures from low oil, too much oil, forgetting to put oil in a newly rebuilt engine, and water in the oil, but never a failure that could be attributed to not spending enough on oil.

And I buy helmets that meet DOT and Snell standards, but have never been over about $120.
My post wasn't directed at YOU Jim.

Anyway, I use Mobil products because "Cycle" magazine was always referencing Mobil Research Department results in many of their editorials. I was a Castrol, and Sunoco 260 freak at the time but it stuck with me. Then I read an article on the Mobil.com website about a BMW 530i they ran on a test bed for the equivalent of 500,000 miles on Mobil One synthetic. When the engine was torn down 90% of the engine parts could have been put back on the new manufacture assembly line. Bullroar you say. OK, I'm happy with 250,000 miles.

Brush the snowflakes off your jacket.

Bill

P,S,; I've never spent over $85.00 for a helmet.