View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2019, 12:14 PM   #18
MichaelS214
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Might as well replace fork seals while you're there. Not sure if cleaning them would do much for sealing. Use PVC plumbing pipe to install cleanly. I've seen people pound them in with screwdrivers, then write caustic reviews about how they leaked!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WNDWEQ0/
I was thinking of doing so - but here's the situation. I planned on just lifting the front end to use one of those "seal mate" type products to quickly do a clean on the left side. I figure that would take no time at all compared to pulling the whole thing and replacing the seal and cover.

The reason is because there are some rust spots a little higher on the fork - which im curious if they are causing the slight seeping of oil. There was one tiny little rust spot just above the cover which I lightly sanded with 1500 grit. It seems to leak a little less than before now. If the cleaning doesn't solve the issue completely, then I'll put in the work to change the seal and cover.

My logic is based on the idea that using the seal mate cleaning tool would be a pretty quick test, while changing the seal and cover would take a lot longer. I may be wrong since I've never done it myself - but my impression is that it's a bigger job vs. a quicker test.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss!
MichaelS214 is offline   Reply With Quote