View Single Post
Old June 5th, 2022, 11:42 PM   #55
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I've replaced 2 springs sense my last post here.... the first one that fit great is way too hard just like the stock one. so I got talking to Pete Youngblood on the china riders forum and he said he would give me 3 springs that he had so I took him up on that prospect and paid him double the postage ! and found that one of the springs he gave me was 400~450 lbs... the rest were in the 500lb range... but they were just 8" long , so I had to make an extension for the spring to set on... that took me almost a week and I wound up zip tying the spring to the spring holder and that seems to be working great !
.... tried the bike out and it was exactly the same, an extremely harsh ride.
that is when I noticed that backing off the pre-load can bottom out the shock itself.... I have NEVER in all my years ran into that before !
it turns out that I was riding with the shock bottomed out all the time !
well....that had to change !
I lowered the preload nuts and noticed that the spring wasn't even touching them.... that put my seat height back up to 32" but the ride then was much better.... still a bit hard but useable !
I fell over with the bike at a stop sign and realised I can't ride the bike like this with this high seat height it HAS to be LOWER ! so I set out to make a new lower link.....
with another 3 days of work screw ups and all that I finally came up with a lower link that dropped the seat height 2.5" ! but the rear tire is about 1/2" away from rubbing on the inner fender well on the bike... so it had to go back up.... I increased the preload a bit and got the clearance to 1" on the rear wheel and the seat height was at 30" exactly....
so that's where I set now, I haven't ridden it sense and it's been about 2 weeks the weather has been crazy here and I've been sleeping all day and getting up at night..... today I got up at 8pm !!!! so I am going around the clock again ! LOL.....
from what I can gather on the temperature gauge is that they all read high
you just watch the numbers not the gauge and sense I've been doing that it's never gotten hot ever.... so it's working fine !
when I raised the rear a few weeks ago I also raised the front a little
but I have not lowered it back down to the 2" that I had it at..... I should probably do that as the handling will be effected...
so now the bike is just waiting for me to take it out for a spin again and see how it works ... it SHOULD be good to go ! we'll see.
Bob......