View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #23
tommyher
TOMS

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Candy Thunder Blue)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
you are limited in back by the black liner on the underside of the rear seat portion, not the rear fender itself. just keep in mind the warning about the rear tire hitting that liner and eating through it. my recommendation is not to go past 2" in back.

my recommendation is 1" max in front. possibly more if you are willing to figure out fender to undercowl clearance when suspension is at it's max compression.

beyond that, you're on your own. if you do go more than those numbers, please share what you find as the max one can lower their bikes. I'm always willing to learn new things, but what I've stated is from what other members have learned about their bikes... some the hard way.

I'm not much into how the bike "looks", but rather on how it performs and from my experience, having the maximum travel afforded by the suspension design is always best. I'm all for shortening the bike for people needing to touch the ground, but I'm always against doing it for "looks".
Hey thanks Kelly; I wasn't even aware of that at all. Sorry I'm like a newbie to motorcycles. I'll "definitely" keep that in mind in regards to the rear especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteninja View Post
1" in the front is about the lowest cause 2-2.5 up front the bottom of the headlight would be smacking the front fender when braking and links in the back on lowest level, is too low and the rear actually sits a touch lower then the front then, at least looking at the fairings underneath to use as a guide on how it sits. i tried just messing around in my driveway when i installed mine.. the bottom of the shock would smack the curb leaving my driveway, and who knows what else you would hit under normal driving, not to mention you would need a new kickstand cause even on the 2.5" setting the kickstand doesnt quite lean the bike over enough, i mean it works but sometimes it looks like the bike could possibly tip over if your not on perfectly flat ground, so new kickstand is needed below 2.5" for sure. heres a pic of mine with 1' blocks and links on 2.5" drop. then when im on it, it goes down another 1-2", even at this setting with me on it i rub the plastic liner underneath, im over 300lbs tho and had to customize that a little bit to make it work.

STOCK FRONT/REAR vv

THIS IS 1" UP FRONT, STOCK REAR vv

THIS IS 1" FRONT, 2.5" REAR vv

Hey Ed, thanks a whole bunch. I've been trying to look for these kind of pics for a long time. This really really helps me a lot Ed. I'm sure it'll definitely help others as well (Great visual perspective) However, Ed do you think it's possible to lower the front just at least 1.5"? Or is that pushing it a bit? Possible or slightly 1.3"?
With the 1"front and 2.5" would that be enough for me to flat foot on asphalt as I am only 5'4?
So, what kind of kit did you use to lower your front & rear? - roaringtoyz links? front roaringtoyz spacers? or clipons?
Please do advise me. Thanks
(Also, keep in mind that I'm only 120lbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
At 5'4" you shouldn't lower the bike. There are many riders shorter than you who are riding at stock height. You don't have to flatfoot with BOTH feet when you stop. Just move your body weight a little over to the left when you are stopping and use your left foot to hold yourself up. It's not that big of a deal and it will become natural to you. I know because I am about your height and had similar concerns, but realized very quickly that it is not a problem.
Hey thanks Ichiro
tommyher is offline   Reply With Quote